I've been so into the whole sock knitting thing ya'll! Brooke and I met for Stitches'n Brews on Sunday. She couldn't believe that I was finishing up a sock within an hour and that I was knitting a sock on size 7 DPNs and Cascade (yes it was a pixie sock)! She and I both were under some dillusion that all socks must be knit on size 1's or 0's but after some reading that isn't always true. I think the sock bug bit her while we were hanging. LOL I've missed hanging out with her. We are so much alike that it is scary folks! Our moms were both born in the same month and same year, we were both in colorguard in highschool, we romped the same grounds in our highschool years but never met, just to name a few. Wild huh?
She's been crazy busy in and out of town the past 2 months. I can relate! Is it just me or does spring seem to bring out the bee in all of us? (you know busy as a bee? okay if I'm the only one that got that leave me a comment about it)
My bed every night has turned into a yarn bed. I'm constantly pulling out various stash yarns, swatching a little bit of them and trying to determine if I can knit a sock out of it or not. I didn't realize how many yarns I have that are knit with size 10 needles! I digress, it's time to go DPN shopping again. LOL
I've decided to knit my Applebee pal Micky a pair of socks for his birthday which is Monday. (Don't you just love how I wait till the last minute?)He's been helping me save money by buying me drinks for the past year. LOL Not to mention that I do not know how his foot size. OH why Lesley why! So I grabbed out my handy dandy book (that I had to knock the dust off last night) called "The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns".

It covers just about any guage or size. I'm working on a nice pair of black socks which I have no idea what yarn this is either.
**looks down and writes on To-Do list "MUST GET YARN STASH ORGANIZED!!!"**
Tell you what. I think a contest is in order. I've never had one before on my blog but hey what the hell. So here it is....
Sock knitting...
Who ever can send me a good pattern for socks that use size 9 DPNs will win something super cool!! I'll post a pic of the prize later tonight.
The contest ends on Monday because you know I hate tuesdays.
LOL
Ya'll Rock!!!
XOXOXO
Isn't that the fun part of knitting in general - there are so many things to make and so many ways you can make them! No size 9 socks from me, the biggest pattern that I have uses a 7. It will be fun to see what is submitted...
ReplyDeleteOf course you can make socks with any yarn and needle size! You know you can also make a sweater on size 1 needles?
ReplyDeleteNo precise patterns for a sock on size 9s. Here, however, is a sock calculator. Just enter in your numbers and away you go!
If you want to put something cool on it then just find a stitch pattern with a number of stitches that will divide equally into your CO number.
Sorry, I got no stinking patterns to fit your requirement. I am making those Horcrux socks going around on worsted weight and had to go down to a three to get a good firm fabric. So, I question whether you good do socks that hold up with a nine. Will be interesting to see what you come up with.
ReplyDeletesize 9? heck if i know LOL good luck. larges needle i used for socks is a size 4 and i have the same book gathering alaskan dust only diffrence is it took me a year before i opened it up past page one it was a gift and found out there were something like 9 pages missing totally blank. LOL and wouldnt you know one of the sections that has pages missing is the sock section. ughhhhhhhhhhh what a waste.
ReplyDeletetop of my list is books i have to replace that is one of them LOL
by the way before i leave did you go look at the totally tiny socks Rhonda is knitting ? at http://mitstitchingnut.blogspot.com/ those you got to go see. i bet your going to be knitting those next too LOL loves ya fellow kitting pal of mine :)
I *love* that Ann Budd book. Good luck on finding the perfect pattern. :)
ReplyDeleteI don't think you're going to find a pattern for size 9 dpn's but the sock calculator that was linked above works great or here's another if you know his shoe size instead, http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/530. Or here's how to figure it out yourself. You have your swatch so figure out how many stitches per inch you have. For size 9's I'm going to guess 4 if you knit tight. So, now you need to know how big around this guy's foot is. Let's say it's 10". 4 st/in for 10 inches is 40 stiches. So cast on 40 and start knitting. You can ribbing or plain stockinette or whatever he might like. If you need help figuring out the heel flap numbers and how many stitches to pick up just let me know.
ReplyDelete