Wednesday, December 27, 2006

9 Reasons I Love Bessemer

My friend Jeremy posted a myspace bulletin called 9 reasons I love bessemer (my hometown). I laughed because he is so right about all these places and I just had to share it with my blogger friends!!! Thanks Jeremy for letting me repost this in my blog!!!

9 Reasons I love Bessemer:
9. Stadium Grill, Fourth Avenue across from Jess Lanier's football stadium. Some of the best burgers I've ever had. Good onion rings. On game night the place is packed, as it has been every Friday night during high school football season for about 40 or 50 years I would guess. Cash only.

8. The Tannehill General, Old Tuscaloosa Highway. These folks do a mean fried chicken. The family also ran two restaurants, now closed, that were among the best in Bessemer - Hobo Joe's and the Furance Masters.

7. Jennie's Sandwich Shop, Fourth Avenue. The pizza burger. Yes. This shop is just down the street from the first murder I ever covered, but I started eating there in high school. The hot dogs make those "best of" lists a lot, but I have a hot dog phobia.

6. Bob Sykes BBQ, Superhighway. The BBQ is better than most, but this place is on this list because of its pies. I like the chocolate, but lemon is my fallback.

5. Pike's BBQ, Superhighway. The owner of this place was the victim of the murder near Jennie's. Mr. Pike was shot while working in his laundromat, (he was nearly 78 at the time) and lived another year. No one was ever arrested. His BBQ joint makes some of the best ribs around and has an old timey milkshake machine from Sears that must have been made in the 50s. Don't leave this building without one of these shakes.

4. W.T.'s, Bessemer Superhighway. This is probably the only bar in America that shares a parking lot with the local Alcoholics' Anonymous. They serve lunch for $5. Great wings, chicken fingers, shrimp. Lunch comes with fries and a huge beverage.

3. UAB Medical West cafeteria, Bessemer Superhighway. With the closing of Bevill's due to a courthouse expansion (it's moving to Alabaster), the best meat and three in the Marvel City is at the hospital. Go figure.

2. The Bright Star, 18th Street. Two words. Snapper throats. I know it sounds gross, but they is tasty. I also like the snapper-shrimp au gratin. And you have to get the peanut butter pie. Lot of history too.

1. Muffaleta's, the Superhighway. All-you-can-eat Italian food on styrofoam plates and plastic table clothes. This is the best lasagna I've ever had. There's meatless versions of everything, except the lasagna. In high school, I ate here two or three times a month. They make dessert pizzas, ravioli the size of a fist, and great alfredo sauce. They have good sandwiches, but I usually get the buffet. This is cash only too.

3 comments:

  1. Peanut butter pie?! I love it! I only got to taste it for the first time about five years ago. I cant get enough though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the closing of Bevill's due to a courthouse expansion (it's moving to Alabaster)****Did you hear the news????Eddie Bevelle said he is going to open a restuarant in downtown Bessemer first, later will open one in Bessemer!!!!

    Check out Bessemeropinions.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOps.. I mean will open one in Alabaster later

    ReplyDelete

Google