My middle sister (not to be confused with the awesome Nat Sis who is the baby Sis) told me the other day that I "..needed to crack open a book once in a while." I was quite offended by this because her tone was very condesending and I read damn it! Excuse me for wanting to read a book about knitting as opposed to differential equations (she's going to school for an engineering degree). I've read that stuff already and quite frankly it bores the hell out of me. (if you like reading about differential equations and other calculus related topics in your "unwind" time more power to you! Personally, I don't care for it and I love you folks that do so I don't have to!!)
But me, I'm not like that. I'd rather read funny books like "Knitting Rules" by the infamous Yarn Harlot, "Knit 2 Together" by Tracy Ullman & Mel Clark (K2Tog has some funny stories in it!!!) or my fellow knitter's blogs which contain anything and every better than fiction at times.
After I calmed down and refrained from hanging up on her, I started thinking more about it. I do read books! They just aren't what the rest of the non-knitting world reads. Then I thought, maybe it is about time for me to (sort of) reaquaint myself with the rest of the non-knitter world for a bit and pick up a book that didn't have knitting patterns. I was scared too ya'll! I really was!! What kind of book that didn't have cool knitting patterns was out there for me? Would this book make me laugh like the Yarn Harlot's books or Crazy Aunt Purl's blog? Do I want a mystery/LO SVU type book or some Stephen King book that would have me scared of imaginary creatures lurking outside my bedroom window ready to attack? Would this book help me take my mind off my troubles in my personal crisis stuff?
So I did what any confused, going through personal crisis (that I promise I'll tell ya'll about by the end of this week), highly emo crazy knitter would do... I went to the library. :-) What? Did you think I'm going to actually BUY a non-knitting book that I may or may not like? I think not!! That money is for yarn or knitting books!!
I went to the library, looked around at lots of fiction books. As I walked the aisles, I decided that the book I wanted needed to have the following: 1. Must make me laugh 2. I must get something out of it (a connection of some sort) 3. Can't be a romance book! That is out of the question! 4. Lots of lonely nights, no Stephen King!!!
I glanced past the 20-30's era time setting books and then I saw this book whose title intrigued me "The Journal of Mortifying Moments" by Robyn Harding. I read the back of it. Here is what the back of the book said:
"A short list of ways Kerry can become a better human being:
1. Be a better friend. (I will never again desert a friend in her time of need to go off to a stupid work-related function-or even to a really good party)
2. Never giggle and make jokes when someone is talking about a person who is emotionally exhausted or getting a new wheelchair
3. Developing a strong, loving and uncritical relationship with my mother (This is more of a long-term goal.)
4. Write frequently in the journal of mortifying moments in order to analyze these situations with my therapist, absolve myself of blame, and learn to love men with an open and unguarded heart.
5. Start Yoga
6. Volunteer for something. (Hopefully something that is kind of fun where I can meet single men who are also kind, gentle, spiritual and true.)"
After reading the above, I was curious and opened the book to read the first paragraph. This book caught me and now I'm fighting to put it down!
Ya'll I've been reading it for a week (taking a while due to knitting) and I am over half way finished with it!!! I freaking LOVE THIS BOOK!!!
It is about a single woman that is getting out of a bad relationship and rediscovering peace for herself by writing down all the mortifying events in her life that involve men. Ya'll this book is hilarious!!! It has been helping me by keeping me laughing through my craziness!!
After totally falling in love with "The Journal of Mortifying Moments" I decided to search out Mrs Harding on google to see what else she has written. I found out that she has a new book coming out. So yesterday I emailed her asking about the book because she didn't have it on her website yet.
She replied today and told me that her site has been updated with a description of the new book. Ya'll she is just super sweet!!!
The new book is called "Unravelled". I'll let ya'll see for yourselves. Here's her site with the book description
He he he! It is fate that I found this author ya'll!! Her work is great!
(BTW: I am buying it for my collection this weekend! I want to reread it without fear of library fines!)
Go check it out! Buy the book!! Tell her I sent ya! :-)
XOXO
Lesley
mmm, I just off to point out that "Unravelled" sounds vaugely like it might have knitting in it, like maybe the author's dog who constantly sits under her feet runs down the hall with a ball of wine gryfindor sock yarn and out the door unravelling her ball of sock yarn.
ReplyDeleteJust saying....:)
Ok, I cant believe I am publicly admitting to this, but as a person who chronically reads romance novels (DONT JUDGE ME!) I will check this book out. :)
ReplyDeleteHow completely cool is that?! :)
ReplyDelete