Sighs...I've been knitting on the Adamas Shawl right. This shawl has been frogged (since I decided to knit this 3 months ago, mind you) at grand total of 20 times easy! 20 times!! The first 10 times were scattered over the first 2 months where I was trying to figure out the yarn and needles I should use, Knit Picks Shadow on 4s, 3s, 5s?. Needless to say after the 10th time getting through the first 5 rows only to rip the bitch back out again, I threw up my hands in defeat and went on about my business to another project. I just wasn't getting it. It happens I know.
A week ago on WWKIP day, I decided to give it another go. I'm knitting Adamas on size 7, Opal crazy colorway. I had cast on and started over a total of 5 times then BAM! I got it!!! Heaven's choir was singing on my behalf! Hallelujah!! I put it up on Ravelry as a project and joined the Adamas group on Raverly, I was so excited to finally be at the 3 set on chart 2. Such progress! I'm so getting this shawl thing!! I was in a great mood! Lovin the knittin man!!
Then something terrible happened, I drank 2 glasses of wine, lost count and something didn't mesh right. I was in the middle of tinking back the trouble row when I decided to put it down for 10 minutes. I went outside, had a smoke. When I returned, Issabella, enemy of yarn, kitten, ripped out the remaining of the half completed row. I couldn't find my way through the yarn. I shed a tear.
5 1/2 hours or more have dedicated to this shawl and all because I didn't follow my first lesson learned when knitting lace I had to undo all that work. What was the lesson you ask? (I even put a reminder on the pattern to do this too)
Simple PUT IN A LIFE LINE LESLEY-D MORON OF THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!
See I had actually learned the lifeline lesson back in the Secret of the Stole 1 (and 2). I ended up froggin the whole thing (both) mostly due to the fact that I was just not getting it right. Chart or no chart, those stoles (1 and 2) got me lost. I think my knitting mojo wasn't up to speed yet and that was my first real lace object(s) to knit.
Adamas has a great pattern to it. It repeats. I like repeats. That allows me to get into a rhythm. I like rhythm although I can't dance very well. But knitting, you damn right! I get that rhythm.
So Lesley-D Moron of the Internet has put in a lifeline into her work this 20th go round for adamas. Where did 11-19 attempt go? Well, I got off count. I was paying attention to my prior notes instead of what I was right in the middle of. SO when trying to start over I would read those notes thinking I had written them down this go round when in fact they were from attempt 8 or 2 or 10? Damn Happens to us all.
Pictures of Adamas Attempt 20? Stupid camera. They are to come soon I promise.
So I ask ya'll, What are some of your lace lessons? Does anyone have any tips?
Want to knit it along with me? Hit up the Adamas ravelry group!!
Alright enough bitchin. ;-)
Moron of the Internet Signing off.
;-)
Not a moron, just a work in progress! You learned a lot from all of your lace knitting attempts so far. I am looking forward to seeing the photos...Fair Winds
ReplyDeleteOh Frak! Oh Frak! Oh Frak! I'm planning on knitting that shawl for the Knitting Olympics! OMG I'm freaking out now! Joining the Rav group... biting my fingernails...peeing my pants...
ReplyDeleteBring it over here... I'll take pics for you!
ReplyDeleteOr I'll bring my camera over when I actually get around to putting gas in the car....
Just make sure the freaking cat can't reach it! Damn our daughter's pets!!
Girl, I'm just as lost as you!! I have restarted the stupid Icarus shawl like 10 times. And I've tried the lifeline thing and it TOTALLY didn't work well for me. *sigh* Let's just go out and have a drink.
ReplyDelete