To this!!
As you may have seen from my last post, the Dollar Store Challenge for this weekend was do something with a dollar store placemat. At first I thought about a purse but then I thought, there's probably others making purses out of placemats so what about an craft apron? Why the hell not!!!
Tutorial Why not?
Supplies
1 Dollar store placemat that has interfacing inside to keep it flat
1 spool of thread
1 sewing needle
1 spool of ribbon
AND Whatever you want to put on it
Steps:
1. Fold the placemat where one end comes just an inch shy from being end to end.
2. Whip stitch the edges of the mat where they meet. On one side I stitched it just shy of the angle edge the other I sewed up that part.
3. Stitch in some lines in the middle for pockets. I only did one line of stitches to make one small pocket and one big pocket. But if you feel like putting in more pockets, just do a straight line of stitches down in any part of the apron.
4. Measure out your ribbon. I placed the apron on me then wrapped the ribbon around my hips to get a measurement. Then cut the ribbon in half. Make sure you have enough to tie the ends of the ribbon together.
5. Sew on the ribbons. I did mine just above where the front edge seams end because I didn't want the apron string to be a bit higher. BUT You can include the ribbon as you are sewing the edges. That's just up to you. Sew one ribbon on each side though so they tie in the back.
6. Decorate the hell out of your apron! I had some tatted pieces just laying around so I hot glue gunned them to the apron. But that's just me. Decorate it however you want to.
That's the end! Use your glue gun wisely! :-) Show me yours when you make one!!!
Btw total cost of this project for me was a $1.00. Yep that's it. I had everything else I needed on hand.
ok. That, my friend, is CUTE! but there would be no way in hell i could do that sewing by hand! maybe i could use my sewing machine!
ReplyDelete